Activating positivity has been proven in scientific studies to have many health benefits. When I was reading about positivity I discovered LAUGHTER YOGA and soon became a Laughter Yoga Leader.
In 1995 Dr. Kataria started the first laughter yoga club in Mumbai, India and now there are over 5,000 laughter yoga clubs internationally. Laughter yoga is a blend of deep breathing, stretching, stimulated laughter exercises and child-like playfulness.
Laughter Yoga is an amazing technique to clear your mind of any worries, stress and anxiety. After a laughter session you will feel refreshed to continue your week with a clear mind and a spring in your step.
LAUGHTER YOGA ACTIVATES 2 forms of positivity: JOY AND AMUSEMENT
Laughter Yoga has many health benefits:
- Laughter keeps you young at heart.
- Laughter is considered a form of exercise because it fills the lungs with oxygen similar to aerobic exercise.
- Moods are lifted, and the body relaxes which in turn boosts the immune system.
- Laughing eases muscle tension and psychological stress.
- Laughter helps to release tension in the mind which increases well-being.
- A good belly laugh improves brain functioning and results in an over all good feeling that can last long after the laugh.
- Laughter helps to relieve stress, and helps us deal with emotionally stressful situations.
- Laughter defuses anger and resentment by releasing it in positive way.
- Laughter cultivates optimism.
- Laughter develops confidence.
- Laughter and humour has long been considered helpful to the healing process.
How to Activate Positivity with Laughter
Step 1: Set aside 20 minutes for a really effective positivity session. You might like to do this practice in your home so as not to get the wrong attention by onlookers… although many Laughter Yoga sessions have been done by groups in the park… I recommend doing it by yourself or with friends at home.
Step 2: Do some warm up exercises such as watching a funny YouTube clip, telling jokes, smiling at yourself in the mirror or rolling around on the ground giggling. The main idea here is just to start it off. Don’t worry about feeling silly. Social norms has programmed us ADULTS to be serious… and hence, the reason for all our worries, anxiety and stress! So, put those old beliefs aside just for 20 minutes and enjoy the stress relieving exercise of Laughter Yoga.
Step 3: Once you get the laughter started keep the uplifting energy vibe rolling by allowing yourself to laugh ON PURPOSE. Yes, people don’t realise that you LAUGH ANY TIME without having to do anything. Just LAUGH.